no images were found
courtesy of wikipedia
In 1784, the Spanish Crown deeded a tract of over 75,000 acres (304 km²) to Juan Jose Dominguez in this area. The tract was named Rancho San Pedro. Dominguez’s name was later applied to the Dominguez Hills community south of Compton. The tree that marked the original northern boundary of the rancho still stands at the corner of Poppy and Short streets. The rancho was sub-divided and parcels were sold within the Californios of Alta California until the lands were ceded after the Mexican-American war in 1848. American immigrants acquired most of the rancho lands after 1848.
In 1867, Griffith D. Compton led a group of American settlers to the area in search of the mild climate. The city was incorporated on May 11, 1889 and was named for Griffith D. Compton.
Aerial view of Compton, 1920.
Compton grew quickly in the mid-1900s. While it would soon be home to a large number of African Americans, in 1930 there was only one black resident. In the late 1940s with the dismantling of segregation, middle class African-Americans began moving into the area, mostly on the west side. One reason for this was Compton’s proximity to Watts, where a significant number of blacks lived at the time. However, the eastern side of the city remained predominantly white into the 1970s. Despite being located in the middle of a major metropolitan area, there remains at least one small pocket of agriculture from its early years.
Zip Codes for Compton Locksmith: 90220, 90221, 90222